I’ve been wanting to experiment a bit with a Raspberry Pi kit and a DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor that I bought. Well, my wife and I brewed our first beer together in our apartment not too long ago and this seemed like a nice excuse to generate some temperature readings to see what temperatures we usually see in our fermentation room. The temperature sensor didn’t really have wiring instructions so I checked out a pretty nice tutorial from Adafruit. While it doesn’t use the same parts, I was able to adapt their instructions to what I had for hardware. Once I got it all wired together and working well, I started a new pi-temp-monitor project on GitHub. With a little help of the w1thermsensor module, I was able to whip together a project that is currently using cron to store readings to a file. The file writing is being handled by normal unix appending. Overall, I’m pretty happy with how it’s worked out so far. I’d like to get the results posted to DynamoDB or SimpleDB using something like Boto 3 to generate some charts on my website. I’ll be updating the pi-temp-monitor project as I progress.