Today I ran across a case where we were trying to programmatically set the threshold for when Jenkins will automatically turn off a Jenkins agent (found under https://$YOUR_JENKINS_HOST/computer/configure). The default is 1GB and we’d like to bump that up a bit. We’re periodically wiping out any nodes that are offline (as well as the resources behind that node) so doing this will clean them out sooner.
I got an e-mail today from Amazon informing me that they have released the AWS Certificate Manager and that they would make it easy to get certificates added to your AWS resources. And, best of all, it is free.
As I mentioned in my Hello Jekyll! post, I’m administering this site with Jekyll. I’ve got all of my code in GitHub and am using Travis CI for continuous integration / continuous delivery of the site. That’s been working quite well thus far, though I’d like to add more testing utilities.
I’ve been working a little more on my Raspberry Pi Temperature Monitor and wanted to check out how to do some Test-driven Development. So, I started by looking into how I might write some tests and structure my code so I looked at the Python unittest documents and class documents. I also ran into this guide which was quite informative. I think it turned out alright (though I’m sure things may have evolved since 2009, when the guide was written. Like anything else, the code can be refactored and improved incrementally.
I’ve been wanting to experiment a bit with a Raspberry Pi kit and a DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor that I bought. Well, my wife and I brewed our first beer together in our apartment not too long ago and this seemed like a nice excuse to generate some temperature readings to see what temperatures we usually see in our fermentation room. The temperature sensor didn’t really have wiring instructions so I checked out a pretty nice tutorial from Adafruit. While it doesn’t use the same parts, I was able to adapt their instructions to what I had for hardware. Once I got it all wired together and working well, I started a new pi-temp-monitor project on GitHub. With a little help of the w1thermsensor module, I was able to whip together a project that is currently using cron to store readings to a file. The file writing is being handled by normal unix appending. Overall, I’m pretty happy with how it’s worked out so far. I’d like to get the results posted to DynamoDB or SimpleDB using something like Boto 3 to generate some charts on my website. I’ll be updating the pi-temp-monitor project as I progress.